Friday 4 May 2012

Botany Collection (Josie Cawdry)


Before the Easter Holidays i was fortunate enough to be able to go and see the private Botany collection at the Manchester Museum. I initially was only going to do some first hand research for my CP essay, but i found myself amazed by the collection and just had to share it on my blog.

I had arranged to look at a selection of cotton and moss samples, all from around the greater Manchester area.The curator or the collection was a very helpful woman and was most pleased to be aided me in my studies. When i asked question about the collection she has many a word to say and it was lovely to see someone with such passion.

After a brief tour of the collection i was left in a back room to do some personal studies with the specimens i had been provided with.
What i found extremely interesting wasn't in fact the objects themselves, but rather the small glass and wooden boxes in which the objects were contained! 


I maybe want to look into how boxes and cases change the way we view an object, change its characteristics and the feeling we get when viewing an object.








No comments:

Post a Comment