Thursday 19 April 2012

IKON GALLERY BIRMINGHAM- AMELIA FAYE TILT

Catching up some posts I should have made over Easter! Sorry for being abit lazy but I couldn’t get away from all the yummy roast dinners and spending time with the family! Hope you all had a lovely time at home, and relaxed as much as I did!
During the holidays I went to have a look round the Ikon gallery in Birmingham. The area where the gallery is located is beautiful, if you’ve never been to Brindley Place I recommend you do. I wasn’t sure what exhibitions were on before I visited but even if they don’t relate to anyone’s work I think it’s nice to appreciate another’s work and give you a fresh outlook.

I was walking up the stairs to the first exhibition and I noticed the original windows from the building, i think there really nice and I know a few people have based their work on architecture or things around Manchester so I took a quick picture.

.There were three exhibitions on and they are all very different:
SARAH BROWNE- “How to use fool’s gold”- 15th Feb/22nd April
http://www.ikon-gallery.co.uk/programme/current/event/578/how_to_use_fools_gold/  
HAMISH FULTON-15th Feb/22nd April
POST CARDS FROM JAPAN-A MESSAGE FROM TOHOKU ARTISTS
These are some of the photographs I took whilst looking around, I particularly liked the work of Sarah Brown who ;” works with small communities of people, documenting resourceful forms of exchange such as gifting, subsistence, poaching and subsidies, to reveal the hidden social relations that exist in small-scale economic structures”. Alot of her work was presented using slides and it reminded me of our talk at the beginning of the project. It was really nice to see them used in such a large exhibition space.





I wasn’t as keen on Hamish Fulton’s work, I can appreciate it from a graphic style of working but it wasn’t really my cup of tea. Although the one thing I found inspiring about his work was the scale, I think it added something.



No comments:

Post a Comment