Wednesday 4 April 2012

ARRIVALS TASK- Amelia Faye Tilt

I’ve been thinking allot about how I want to spend my time during Unit X, and I think that the arrivals task we have been set will really help me direct my work in some kind of direction. I always struggle at the start of project and I’m hoping that this task will help kick start my work.


The project Old School/New School is one with so many possibilities, I starting looking into the original school of art, and buildings around Manchester. I found the architecture really interesting but I couldn’t help feeling like the concept had been done before. I don’t want to base my work around just the old school, I think for me to produce interesting work I need a fresh focal point. Something that I can really get inspired by. I sat outside the School of Art and realised that the colour of building was what I was drawn to, it was different to all the darker red brick buildings that surround it. It sound silly but the colour reminded me of some of the architecture in Greece, the sandstone visible underneath the chipped away paint. So I have decided to base my work around this, different aspects of Greek life, culture, textiles, architecture.


Until August I had never been to Greece before, travelling there in peak season was something people had moaned at me about for weeks prior to my trip;” You’re going to burn in that sun, in the middle of august”, one of the perks of being blonde and fair I guess. After a four and a half hour flight I arrived in the Greek town of Rhodes. It was 4:30am but the sun was already rising over the sandy mountains. A two hour coach journey isn’t something I would usually enjoy but, driving up the winding hills to the small village of Pefkos was so beautiful. All I could see for miles were quant clusters of houses, antique sea blue shutters covering windows while families slept and the most beautiful pink flowers winding up the side of doorways. Everything was so bright, yet subtle; I really have never seen anything so beautiful. My time in Greece was one of the best few weeks of my life, every inch of building, road or sea had a story to tell and I really loved that. In general, the Greeks are particularly proud of their culture and speak of their country with an intense passion, something I found so refreshing. I feel that their Greek culture is a definition of their national and ethnic belonging. Traditions, religion, music, language, food and wines are the major composites of the Greece culture and constitute the base for those who wish to visit the country.




















No comments:

Post a Comment