Thursday 26 April 2012

ARTISIT- AMANDA CLAYTON-AMELIA FAYE TILT

I’ve been looking into different artists that inspire me in my sketchbook and I wanted to share the work of Amanda Clayton. Who happens to be a former teacher of mine. I was taught by Mandy during my foundation year and I can truthfully say I learnt a hell of alot from her, she has an incredible knowledge of the textile world and uses her experiences as an artist to push her students.And I am so grateful that I was one of them, I learnt a lot during my foundation year and Mandy always pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and explore new things, which is exactly what I trying to do during Unit X.

Amanda Clayton


Amanda is passionate about maintaining the joy of holding a needle. Childhood experiences with stitch and cloth evolved as Amanda gained a First Class Degree in Embroidery in 1982. Surveying a career to date indicates an artist who is gregarious, generous with her time and dedicated to sharing knowledge.


Throughout her career Amanda has embraced tradition. All good work is part of a history, yet not of a particular time or fashion. Amanda's work has references to the past but has a timeless quality. Her work illustrates explorations, experiments and decisions, as pieces grow intuitively in the hand. The work inhibits an intensely personal and intimate work full of nostalgic resonances. Amanda has exhibited widely taking part in seminal exhibitions such as New British Embroidery in 1988 and winning major awards from The Design Council (texprint), The Lace Guild, The Embroiderers Guild ( Lynette de denne ) and West Midlands Arts (Arts Council funding). We live in a time when it is not essential to stitch but it is an essential part of her life.


(http://www.62group.org.uk/artist/amanda-clayton/)










She always had a piece of work on hand to show you, something relating to your project, something that could really inspire you and even though she’s not my teacher any more I have come across theses images. The use of cloth and stitch is very subtle and makes the work appear venerable which I really like. I want to add that element to my own samples and make them less manufactured.

No comments:

Post a Comment