Thursday 19 April 2012

Hey guys, I've been researching into the Tactility Factory as I wanted to look at ways pattern can create different illusions. I was looking at the artist Rob Ryan who works with purely paper and craft knifes, he stencils detailed patterns and i had a go myself as it took me back to my arrivals project looking at pattern and light sources. Scoring paterns into paper allows light to shine through, the thought really inspired me. Although, being a textile student, i wanted to incoorperate fabrics. Looking on the group blog and finding a post off Rosie about the Tactility Factory sparked off ideas about bringing in Knitting which i learnt from my last workshop. Knit is something i really enjoyed doing and it can create really beautiful patterns and textures when you start to experiment with different yarns. I would still want to create a sort of screen, seperating spaces but in a really interesting way, using hanging knitted drapes instead of concertina boards which i was intially thinking about. I would need to think about colour as i would want something that wouldn't date, as even though the new building is going to be this sheek, modern studio based building, we don't want to become sick of seeing explosive blasts of colour that are dated and were only on trend for one season. Maybe stick to a suttle colour with ignites of bright colour flowing through. I would experiment with my ideas before i made any final decisions, and i would have to take scale into account.
A few links and photographs i was really inspired by:
http://www.tactilityfactory.com/
http://girliconcrete.blogspot.co.uk/





If any of you have anything to add or if you have any comments about my ideas, please shout out!!
would be interesting to hear all your ideas and opinions!

3 comments:

  1. Have a look at Caroline Broadhead, she did jewellery at Central St. Martins byt also does alot of larger installation and textile pieces too, alot her work is focused on using space and reflecting light. She has also done some large scale cut out pieces that are really decorative and full of pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much!! Hopefully i will gather some more ideas to push me along! I really liked Rob Ryans paper stencilling and had a go at a few of my own cube boxes which could potentially be a light if i created the boxes out of pvc or wood and used the laser cutter to carve my shapes, however, i wanted to use fabrics as we all are textiles girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Caroline Broadhead aswell I think I might have a little look as well!

    ReplyDelete