Wednesday 4 April 2012

BRENDAN DAWES TALK- Amelia Faye Tilt

I found the talk by Brendan Dawes so fascinating, I think it’s the talk I have enjoyed most. Not only was it interesting but He really engaged with you while talking about all the different types of work he has produced and how he got to that point. I wrote allot of notes during this talk, but I want to tell you about the projects I found really inspiring. I can scan my notes and upload them later if anybody wants to read more.
There were quite a few pieces of work that I found really inspiring, one of which was a project he created called “Memory Box”. He explained how for his wife’s birthday he developed a box that displays all of the text messages sent to each other during their relationship. It was a small shoe sized boxed neatly and simply decorated with two passport sized photographs displayed on top of a cushion of pink tissue paper, next to a small LCD screen that randomly selected one text message to display each time the lid of the box was removed. I loved this, I think it’s because I’m a huge fan of sweet handmade gifts and this really was beautiful.
“Due to the nature of SMS messages they are all too transient and throwaway; we send these messages into the ether where they fade away over time. The idea of a Memory Box is an attempt to a make a physical storage box for digital messages.”-BRENDAN DAWES


Another project I found really interesting was called “Living in the future is awesome”. He explained how he had developed work using a 3D printer, called a Maker Bot. I really was fascinated by how he took an image and turned it into a 3D object. The machine prints layers of plastic on top each other that slowly form the object. It was crazy to think how his mind must work, as he literally wakes up and thinks of concepts that most people couldn’t dream of.
His work is beyond interesting and I think we could all learn from the way he produces work. I guess it’s a prime example of not matter how crazy an idea you should always pursue it as it might pay off! There was so much to take in during the talk has he has created some incredible work, have a look at his website: http://www.brendandawes.com/
You could spend hours reading and researching his work.


No comments:

Post a Comment